Wednesday, October 13, 2010

2223 in The Castro

Being the crazy planner that I am, I had made three reservations for our first month's supper club in the Castro.  I read reviews, yelp, urban spoon, urban daddy, etc. to see what was new and yummy in the Castro district.  Everything I read had high reviews for 2223 and it was the only option who didn't have table availability.  So when the hostess called and said they have an opening I thought this must be it!  The Culinary experience at its finest.  Now it wasn’t bad but  I was slightly disappointed after getting all hyped up from the reviews.  Question...Can we really trust these reviews???  Don't know but what I can say is that you can trust our blog.


As I arrived at 2223 the outside appearance was subtle and quaint.  A nice neighborhoody type spot.  As we sat down I noticed a few groups of elderly people.  I don't mean canes and walkers but an older type crowd enjoying their fruity martini looking cocktails.  I thought to myself "How do these people already know about this new hip place?" To my surprise this so called “New” place had been opened for 16 years.  Shocker!  “New” meant newly revamped. Now that was an unfair review.


The food was decent by San Francisco standards probably fabulous in a mid-country state. No offense!  They had very large portions, where you could practically feed a horse.  The Tomato tower appetizer was by far the best thing on the menu and could have been sufficient as my main course.  The Calamari and spring rolls were just ok and I don’t recommend them.  Stick with the Tomatoes as you’ll be surprised when your plate comes.  Food Galore!  

My main dish was the Steak:
 
Grilled All Natural Montana Range Flat Iron Steak
queso fresco papusa, pickled corn & cabbage slaw
black bean & jalapeno jus  

Now I love papusa’s!  Those were Mark and I’s staple food when traveling through Belize and Guatemala.  The Steak was nothing to gloat about, good, slight burn of the tongue after taste from the jalapeno jus (I did liked that) but the cheesy Papusa and Black beans brought me back to my Latin travels.  I say it was comfort food for the belly.  I was stuffed!!!


I can’t believe we actually order desert after all this.  The Sour Cherry Bread Pudding was very good and I would definitely recommend it, but beware you must share it!


I guess the theme of my review is the portion size.  I'm more for quality than quantity.  We live in San Francisco a California city where portion control is almost a religion and appreciation for food is on top of our list of things to do.  I say this is a good place to go to if you are a local of the Castro district, have a parent/friend in town who wants to step out of his/her comfort zone of steak and potatoes (but not really) and if you’re hungry. 2223 you didn't live up to your reviews.

Here are my ratings:     

My score: 17


Cost: 4                It's a good price for all the food you get.  The wine is reasonable
Ambiance: 3      Nothing Special.  Good place for conversation
Taste: 3              Tastes Good but does not compare to a lot of other city restaurants
Originality: 3       Nothing special, they tried with the food parings  
Service: 4           Service was great

No comments:

Post a Comment